What Is Evra Patches
Evra patch is a hormonal contraceptive that is stuck to the skin to produce specific amount of oestrogen and progestogen into a woman’s blood. It is a highly effective contraceptive that provides over 99% protection of used as prescribed. It is worth noting that Evra Patch is a prescription-only treatment which means that it has to be prescribed to you by a qualified health professional.
How it Works
Evra Patches is as effective as any other combined contraceptive pill. It is made up of Ethinyl estradiol and norelgestrominas its active ingredients. These hormones prevent the release of eggs for fertilization, create a thick mucus layer in the cervix to prevent the penetration of sperms, and stop the process of ovulation.
What it treats
Get full details from the Patient information leaflet that comes with these patches. This medication might not be the right choice for you if you:
- Are preparing for an operation or if you are immobile for a long duration.
- Have an history with heart disease, high blood pressure, or stroke
- Have severe diabetes
- Struggle with migraines
- Have inflammatory bowel disease, or sickle cell anaemia
- Have a family history of high levels of lipid in the blood
- Struggle with sickle cell anaemia
- You have an inflamed varicose veins or bowel disease
Consult your doctor to see if this treatment if right for you based on your condition or you need a different form of contraception.
- The patch can be placed on any part of the body as long as it won’t be rubbed off during body movement.
- It is recommended that you wear each patch for a maximum of seven days after which you will need to replace it with a new one.
- Evra Patches are to be worn for 3 weeks
- Take a 7-day break after the three weeks
- If placed correctly, Evra Patches will remain intact even when you shower or go swimming.
Being a prescription only treatment means you will have to consult your doctor or pharmacist before using Evra patch.
The most common side effects are:
- Headache or migraine
- Tender breast
- Mood swings
- Irregular bleeding
- Weight gain
- Nausea or vomiting
Seek medical advice if you experience any severe side effects related to your use of Evra patches.