Flu Vaccination in Birmingham
At Zenith Pharmacy we are committed to providing a well-rounded service that helps our patients will all complaints, including the common flu. Doctors and even schools are now providing flu vaccinations to what is considered the more vulnerable population, Zenith Pharmacy, on the other hand, offer this flu vaccination to anyone who wants it. While we understand why this flu vaccination is only available to some people, we still believe it should be available to anyone who wants it.
What is the flu? Influenza, otherwise known as the flu, is a contagious respiratory illness caused by the Influenza virus. It is incredibly easy to catch as it is an airborne illness that is spread through coughing, sneezing and close contact. The best way to avoid being struck with the flu is to get vaccinated every year.
NHS Flu vaccination service runs from October to January and it is aimed at patients likely to develop serious complications due to contracting the virus. This includes:
- People over 65 years of age
- Pregnant women
- Anyone with diabetes
- Patients with asthma, lung disease and other respiratory problems
- Anyone with a history of stroke(s)
- Anyone with a chronic kidney, liver or heart disease
- People with illnesses or taking medication, that lower the natural defence system
If you fall into one of the above categories you are entitled to a free flu vaccination through your doctor or pharmacy. You don’t need to be referred by a doctor to a pharmacist, nor does the doctor have to give permission for your flu vaccination. If you do not fall into one of the above categories, you still can have the flu vaccination, however, it will not be covered for by the NHS and you will need to pay for the vaccination.
Who shouldn’t have the flu jab?
Most people can have a flu vaccine. However, there are a couple of exceptions:
– If you are currently unwell with a fever, you should delay getting the flu jab.
– If you have an egg allergy, speak to your GP or pharmacist before getting the jab.
Please use the booking form below to book your Flu Vaccine with us!